6.13.2012

Animal Rescue

I have a passion for animals, especially the cute and furry kind, and have volunteered in different capacities with animal rescues for many years. I've found ways to encourage a love of animals in my kids through our own pets, the pet store, and good old mother mature, but now that the kids are getting older I can finally share the volunteer experience with them.

We adopted our dog, Vegas, from Animal Rescue Project here in Kalamazoo and I was impressed with the organization. They are made up of entirely volunteers save for a few paid staff at their shelter. This spring I decided that Teah was old enough and we went to volunteer orientation together. They have a great volunteer program where we can go into the shelter to walk a dog or pet the cats anytime from 9am-7pm everyday on a drop in basis. We haven't found the time to make it that often, but I hope to start going weekly now that summer is here.

Teah enjoys walking dogs, but really loves petting and playing with the cats in the cat room. We'll never own our own cat since Robert is allergic, so this is an extra special opportunity and maybe one that will ensure Teah purchasing a cat as soon as she gets her own place :)

Here are a few pictures I took of Teah with THE cutest and friendliest chihuahua at the shelter - I wanted to take him home!

No comments: