9.01.2010

Carter's Second Day

Well, today was an emotionally exhausting morning all around. When I mentioned going to preschool this morning Carter immediately told me that he didn't want to go and that he didn't like preschool. That was not what I was hoping for! I tried everything I could think of to convince the kid to go, but he would not budge. When we pulled into the parking lot he didn't want to go in and I got him through the door without crying, but as soon as we sat down to put his slippers on he just started screaming. Mary came over and "took over" and I said a quick goodbye and walked out - a heart-wrenching thing to do! Of course I was crying as well having to leave him like that. I overreacted to the situation and started thinking that I would have to take him out of school because it was never going to work - I guess those were my emotions in overdrive. I was worried that he would be upset on and off for the entire two hours and was fully expecting Mary to tell me as much. Thankfully, it was not as bad as I thought it would be and was probably harder on me than him! It did take them 30 minutes to get him to calm down, but after that he had fun with his "work" and played on the playground. His teachers agreed that he's not so good with groups, so they are staying aware of that and trying to help him through those situations. THANKFULLY, one of his assistant teachers is wonderful and sits with him when he is upset and they have bonded well. Also, it sounds like he has become friends with a little boy named JJ who was also a little sad at drop-off time today. Oh, and Carter and JJ have the same red crocs, so they must be friends :) Mary suggested that I bring Carter in 15 minutes early tomorrow so he can get settled in without the other children around. When I mentioned to Carter that we were going to go early tomorrow so that he could sit at his favorite place and get out his favorite work he gave his standard reply that he DID NOT want to go. When I asked him if he wanted to go with Teah and have her show him some work he actually said yes, so I think that I'll bring her along as well. So, I have higher hopes for tomorrow and today didn't turn out near as bad as my imagination made it out to be!

No comments: